Thursday, March 5, 2009

Love Mercy Tour -- San Luis Obispo, CA

It took me two hours yesterday morning to drive 67 miles. Yeah, that’s Southern California traffic. It rained and South Cals are like a bunch of turkeys when it rains. We stand outside with our beaks open, not certain what that water falling from the sky is. So I left my house at 6:20 am and arrived in San Luis Obispo about 12:30 pm because of a horrible accident outside Calabasas. That gave me a half hour to grab a green burrito at Taco Bell (I asked for extra green sauce and they gave me NO green sauce…ah, well…) and get to my signing in Morro Bay. The minute I arrived at the Cotton Patch it was worth it, of course, because I had fans waiting. It was a quick, fun two hours, complete with chocolate cupcakes the store provided in honor of Love Mercy. Then back in the car and back to San Luis Obispo. (My Subaru Outback already looks like I’ve spent two weeks in it rather than one day–I pack like I’m going on a five-month trip to the Alaska back country). At the Novel Experience, I spent another two hours signing books and talking to old friends and new. Some readers here in “San Celina” have come to my signings since my first book came out in 1994. We all agreed we looked the same, especially when we take off our glasses. Then dinner with three friends (hamburger with smoked mozzerella cheese–yum!) and to my hotel. I was so tired I knew I couldn’t write on the blog so I waited until this morning. (Good thing because I almost didn’t get connected–I had to call the desk and they had to walk me through it–honestly, is there a bigger techno-boob than me? I don’t think so). Before going to bed, called hubby Allen, got update on the Boo-meister (he’s doing fine, but he doesn’t understand when I travel, he waits by the back door for me, then finally gives up–yeah, makes me tear up to think about it). Today I’m off to Bakersfield, but first to sign stock at a new quilt shop in Paso Robles–Winecountry Quilts. If I miss a night (or day) on this blog, trust me, it’s because I can’t figure out how to get on the Internet. Free breakfast down in the lobby so I think I might check it out. I have had my first cup of coffee and the cup protector said this–”Because sometimes you need a cup of coffee to go downstairs to get a cup of coffee.” Oh, yeah, these people get it. That could my life motto.

Happy Trails, Earlene p.s. I tried to proof read this, but I’m afraid to touch any other button for fear that I’ll lose this posting. So, if there’s any weird mistakes, blame it on the fact I’ve only had one cup of coffee…